8.23.2009

Packing School Lunches

Well, summer break is gone. Things have been so quite around here. It's not that I've stopped trying to pinch pennies... I think my time and my patience have both been lost somewhere in a family reunion or summer vacation.
I thought it might be fitting to post a little sumpin'-sumpin' bout school lunches.
I like to think of myself as an advocate for healthy eating. Unfortunately, healthy and cheap are not often possible. I seem to find myself choosing between one or the other.
I wanted some ideas and feedback on affordable (and somewhat healthy) options to put in my kids' lunches. My kids LOVE those 'lunchable' packs, but I've never had the stomach to pay that much for a tiny lunch. Has anyone ever made their own 'lunchable' pack? I know there are amazing Mom's who pack their kids awesome lunches (I know, I've seen them when I visit the lunchroom)

Here is a list of what I pack, I just chose one from each category:

Drinks
- Capri Sun, juice box, $0.35 milk

Snacks
-(items bought in bulk or on sale and divided into small ziplocs)- Triscuts, Cheez-it's, almonds, raisins, string cheese

Fruit/Veggie
- carrots, apples, grapes, pears

Protein
- hard boiled egg (peeled and sprinkled with salt in a small ziploc), meat and cheese sandwich, ham/cheese/olive kabob (chunks of each stuck on a toothpick)

It seems that it takes up such a chunk of our grocery budget, but I'm stuck in a rut. Out of ideas for saving money and lacking creativity.
So what kind of things do you pack? Has anyone found a way to work the weekly ad's into packing lunches?

5 comments:

annette said...

my kids love to take cracker, cheese, and peperoni. kind of like a little lunchable. then I alway's through in a fruit or veggie. but with all my kids in school this year we are going to try hot lunch for a while and see how it goes.

Marianne and Ben said...

what do you do for the items that need to stay cool, like the cheese and if they have a meat and cheese sandwich and you put mayo on it what then. I have tried those freezer things but what have you tried?

The kids eat hot lunch or if I make lunch it is usually pb&j. Borning but when in a hurry :-)

Min said...

I bought my son a two-compartment lunch pack last year at Tareget. I pack a lunchmeat and cheese sandwich (or pb&j when we are out of lunchmeat), put the sandwich in a plastic zip-top baggie, and put it in the bottom compartment with a napkin and Igloo miniature ice pack ($0.99 at Target by the lunch packs). I also throw in a mini bag of chips (bought the variety pack at Costco, and it has lasted 3 weeks so far with both my husband and my son's lunches, and used as snacks a few times too).
I bought a thermos at target (fits in the top compartment, and stays cold all day). It was $15, but I fill it with water every day and don't have to mess with juice boxes. I also put a mini ice pack in with it.

My son also has to take 2 snacks to school (requested by the teacher) for a snack "recess" (he is in school a full 7 hours, with lunch at 11). Usually a cheese n cracker pack and a fruit leather (both purchased at Costco in bulk). 3 weeks into the school year. still have some of both.
Not sure if this helps. I pack a lunch because he goes to a K-8 (with full day kindergarten) and gets only 15 minutes to eat before getting shuffled out to get the next grade into the cafeteria. He wouldn't have time to eat a hot lunch after standing in line to buy it!
I don't know if this helps. But, thought I would share what we do here in the desert!

Stacy said...

I freeze the Capri Sun's, by the time lunch rolls around they have thawed out and everything is still nice and cold.
I am not very creative in the lunch department. My poor kids pretty much get the same thing day after day. They do enjoy when I do the honey butter sandwiches though. They also like the roll up sandwiches. They know mom must be in a creative mood if I am making them a roll up.

Sherian said...

Thanks guys!