9.09.2009

Gardens and Food Rotation

Okay... summer's over, so I want to see some more action around here ;)

A few things...
How's the garden thing going? Any tips or good info for growing a good garden in our are? I had killer grasshoppers this year! I'm still not sure what I need to grow to supplement feeding my family. And even the things I've tried are hit and miss.
My tomatoes are coming in good now (Good for sandwiches and salads) My onions are getting there.
Does anyone do canning? If so, what do you can/bottle?

Another thing...
I have a constant struggle rotating my food storage. Not the regular stuff so much, specifically the church #10 can stuff.
Does anyone have recipes or tips on using ANY of the following...
potato pearls
regular oats
powdered milk
rice
and of course the dreaded... hard wheat!

I remember some wheat recipes from a few months back, thanks! I just need all the help I can get. (but that's not a surprise to anyone I'm sure!)

Sherian :)

PS- Would anyone be interested in a group canning get-together. I've got some 50 lb. bags of milk and sugar I need to put in #10 cans. We can rent the sealer from the church cannery and have a party! (you can order things to can from the church, just check out the Provident Living website for prices and what's available.)

6 comments:

Mel said...

Do you have long grain or short grain rice? If you have long grain, I have a great Spanish (ok Mexican) rice recipe.

1 cup long grain rice
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 clove garlic (minced)
2 cups water
1 tablespoon chicken bullion
1 teaspoon salt
2 Roma tomatoes

Place rice in soup pan. Add oil. Brown on medium heat until golden. Add garlic. Saute a couple more minutes. Add water, bullion, salt & tomatoes. Stir. Bring to hard boil. Cover. Turn to low. Cook 20 minutes. Fluff w/ fork.

**I mince my garlic in a little food chopper. Once the garlic is in the pot, I add the tomatoes & pulse until really thin, but not runny.

Delicioso!!!

Mel said...

I also have an oats brownie recipe ~ not too shabby, but not on me...let me know if you are interested. I'll post.

annette said...

I have the same problem with the number 10 cans. I really haven't stored to many of them. I have been very busy bottling this season. dill pickles,bread and butter pickles, beets, string beans, salsa, today I am doing peaches and pears, I also want to do more salsa, apple pie filling and pasta sauce. I grew up canning but never have realy done much of it on my own untill this year it is a ton of work. but I am having fun.

Unknown said...

As for powdered milk, when I am about 1/2 gallon left of regular milk I just mix up some powdered milk and add to the regular and my family doesn't even notice.

Sherian said...

I would LOVE to have that other recipe Mel!

Annette- Where do you get your food to can??

annette said...

most of it from farms. found a great farm called Peterson farms. it is across Bangerter from the district shoping center. sort of by the temple he sells at 1/2 the price of other places. great deals!!! my fruit I get in Payson when I visit my dad.