6.10.2009

Co-op...or not to op... That is the question

I have all the information regarding starting our own co-op here in Harvest Hills.

I'm trying to decide if #1-this is a commitment I can take on, and #2 if there are enough people here interested to make it worth having our own site.

I know it's only 2-3 hours once a month, but I don't know why this is difficult. That's 12 times a year. Maybe it's the culture we live in... we already volunteer and commit our time with callings and such. One more commitment may just be a pain in the neck.

I would love for this to serve our community... if people want it. The purpose and message of the co-op is something I very strongly believe in supporting. Eating healthier...and cheaper.
I'm not an 'organic' pusher, but I personally want to try and keep fast food from replacing our family dinners around the table. Not to mention, in these tough economic times... helping each other save some money will lighten some of our financial burdens. These are the things that make me think that 2-3 hours a month is a small price to pay. I dunno...

I think I will be printing and distributing flyers this week. I would appreciate your opinions, and possibly your help in spreading the word to friends and neighbors. (I think it might be helpful to put some info in the church 'RS folders' they pass around) I've added the link to the info flyers.

https://foodco-op.net/get_involved/spread_the_word.html

I may be the only person who feels passionate about involving our community and having our own site...(I can admit that sometimes I get overly-excited about things) and if everyone just wants me to shut my trap and pick-up their food in Eagle Mountain...that's okay too!

We would need 6-10 volunteers. We could manage with less, but the more we have...the less often we would need to commit our time. It would be nice if the same people didn't have to volunteer every month. The volunteers would need to:

#1- Pick up the food from the Co-op warehouse on D-day and transport it back to the Team Site. (drive to Salt Lake, pick up the food and drop it off...fairly early on a Saturday morning)
#2-Volunteers are needed at the team site to help distribute the food to members who have ordered and will be picking up at the team site. (be at the site on Saturday morning to help the people coming and clean up empty boxes after...this would be a 2-3 hour gig)
#3- We would need a Team leader or coordinator. This person would be the contact person with the Co-op and would coordinate volunteers at the team site.

We also would need a site. I would love some feedback and/or ideas on this.

So, there you go...feel free to be honest with me. I may just need to let it go, we'll see.

Sherian

7 comments:

Paula said...

Sherian-I would love to do this too. I haven't done it yet because of school etc. But I want to. I can help just about any day during the summer and when school starts, just about any day after 4:00 PM. Count me in!

Paula

Unknown said...

You know I am in too. I already signed up. I can totally help with flyers, if your printer is still out of ink just email it to me and I will print it. I will help pass it out too. Did you see the sample list of items on the site that you can attach to your flyer? that might be a good idea because people just don't know what this is about and what you get. I am willing to volunteer with pick up and I would be much happier having it here instead of EM. I also think it is good for our nieghborhood. Let me know what I can do.

Stacy said...

I loved the co-op food that we ordered last month. The apples were the yummiest apples that we have had in a long time, and the cantaloupe actually tasted like cantaloupe. You just can't beat fresh fruit and veggies, and if it helps me want to cook fresher and healthier, I'm in. I will help in anyway Sherian. Give me the word.

Marianne and Ben said...

I will help too. I have been loving the food so far. OK, so asparagus is not my thing and I can't have the cantaloup but my kids and Ben like them, so there you go. Maybe we should all get together and talk about what we can do.

Lynne said...

I want to do this for sure. I'm good to help with whatever, my kids can help, too. We'll be back the 2nd week in July, I'll be in touch then. BTW - do y'all need any Bama stuff? Our local Bama Pride store is having a sale. Call me if you do.

Amber said...

Sherian I'm interested as well. It looks great to me.

Winders said...

Sherian, my email is adrienne_winder@yahoo.com Hope to hear from you soon!