11.19.2009

Thrify Thursday... slacker!

I have been a real slacker when it comes to posting. I promise to try harder.
Today will be a random gathering of things...

1. Coupons at Walgreen's- (a season of sickness)
I have to admit that this week is the first time I have used the in-ad and newspaper coupons at my local Walgreen's. I was very impressed with the selection and availability of the items (except the Ziploc bags... but when your planning on buy 12 boxes, you can't complain!)
I got 'register rewards'? They are receipt coupons good for ANYTHING in the store. I got $4 to use on my next visit.
I just think that this time of year, getting cough/cold medicine and children pain relievers never hurts. Buying them when they are super cheap saves me a ton of money in the long run. Those type of things are budget busters for me... I'm never expecting them, and I hate buying things at full price!
*Ricola vitamin C drops are $1, and if you have your BOGO coupons from the newspaper... that's 4 bags of ricola for $2... LOVE IT! Reeeeeeee.Cooooooo.Laaaaaaahhhh!

2. Christmas Gifts-
I wanted to throw out a few ideas for small gifts. I know that things are tighter for just about everyone this year... but there are always the teacher/friend/home & visiting teacher gifts/etc. About a month ago I went up to Tai Pan. This is a dangerous store for me (I can't control myself) but I went to get an early start on Christmas. They have a rack of things that are under $5. I found cute Santa cookie jars and snowflake lanterns. Well...This past week Betty Crocker cookie mixes have been on sale at Smith's (and are cheap at Wal-Mart) with newspaper, loadable, and printable coupons... I got a bunch of Holiday sugar cookie bags for around $1 each.
Santa Cookie Jar ($3.50)... cookie mix ($1)... ribbon (already had)... $4.50
I filled the snowflake lanterns with Lindor chocolates (use coupon at Costco) and some other chocolate.
Lantern ($2.50)... chocolates ($1.00 per lantern)... ribbon (already had)...$3.50
I guess my point is that you can use your grocery coupons to get little gifts as well. Just a thought.

3. Holiday hosting-
I love to have family/friends over... I wish I did it more often. I will admit that one of my many weaknesses is the need to have things perfect when people come to my house. (I'm working on it) Which is why I don't have people over more often. I had Thanksgiving at my house a couple years ago and improvised for many things!
Here's some things I've done... (but don't tell anyone, hee hee)
Festive Tablecloths- buy a pack of sheets and sew them to size. Then the kiddie table cloth matches the big table.
Place mats- scrapbook paper cut with patterned scissors around the edges.
Napkin Rings- ribbon tied to fancy scrapbooking paperclips
Drapes- shower curtain with ribbon loops hot glued to the top and matching ribbon trim glued along the bottom.
Plates- mix and match DI stuff. They have great 70's stuff in mustard yellows, moss greens and browns. Don't be afraid to mix patterns, placing a smaller plate on top of a dinner plate. You're always welcome to borrow some of my DI plate collection! (DI also has great serving platters... many just need some silver polish!)
House scent- in a saucepan...3 cups water, 4 cinnamon sticks, five whole cloves, 2 tsp. nutmeg, and orange slices. Bring to boil then turn down to simmer. Just watch the water and add more every so often. (Looks pretty in the pan too!)

I love to get the shopping out of the way early. I will admit that after trying the Black Friday shopping... I'm not the biggest fan. Sorry. But I would love to get people's take on the deals this year.
Please share any other Holiday tips... have a happy Turkey Day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

love this post Sherian, it's great. I love the ideas you gave. I too think that there are so many gift opportunities out there with coupons. As far a Walgreens, I am a big fan. just today I got 4 boxes of Ritz and 1 box of wheat thins, 2 bottles of Triaminic and 2 lindt chocolate bars for $12.11 and got $8 in Register Rewards. Pretty awesome huh? $4 is not bad for all of that. Keep up the great posts and I will try to be better too.