10.14.2009

Freeze Dried and Powdered Items

I know that Thrifty Thursday wouldn't be until tomorrow... but I was at Wal-Mart in SS last night and saw that some of the freeze-dried food cans were on sale. (#10 cans) Unfortunately not all of them are... but some. They are up to $2.12 off, per can. The only other time I've seen this stuff on sale is at Macey's case lot sale.
I got the apple slices and butter. Did you know you can buy and use butter like that? and they have margarine too!
I know I'll use the apples... apple crisp :) But I'm curious to know what other people use the fruits and vegetables in? I would love some recipes to incorporate these types of things. I have really been hesitant of storing dried fruits and veggies... I'm just not sure how we would use them.
I'm a fan of powdered eggs, and they're pretty easy to rotate, you add them to any baking recipe that calls for eggs. (they're less messy too!) You can also get just egg whites.
So if you need to store butter, eggs (I don't think the eggs are on sale), honey, fruits and veggies, and soups. Check out the Food Storage isle! (oddly located in the back by the painting and automotive stuff... strange!) A little of this stuff goes a really long way... it takes me six months to use my can of eggs.

Happy Gathering, (and fall break)
Sherian

1 comment:

Preparedness Pro said...

How have you liked the apples so far? I'm a huge fan of freeze dried foods myself and use them on a regular basis in my cooking. They won't bruise or go bad on you anytime soon! http://tinyurl.com/lc5byx