10.15.2009

I've been meaning to post

I'm here! I've been meaning to post for a while, but it just hasn't happened. Sherian you said you were going to start baking bread all winter . . . so I thought I'd share.

I'm honestly not good at baking the traditional bread-- I love it, I just never get around to doing it. Although I have a recipe I like for french bread. It is really simple and it makes two regular loaves or three small loaves (we usually share with some nice neighbors). See below for the French Bread Recipe.

But, the info I was going to share today is about the bread store. It is located in American Fork. Right off the AF Main street Exit. You turn onto State Street as if you were heading into Lehi and the Sara Lee Bread Store is right there on the corner (across from the Olive Garden). Anyway, I've been buying bread there for atleast a year or so. I buy Sara Lee, but they also have Grandma Sycamore and other kinds (not sure exactly because I always get the same thing). The bread I buy is just $1.00 a loaf, and when you spend $10.00 you get a free item from a special rack (sometimes cookies, buns, or just more bread). So I usually come home with 10-11 loaves of bread and stick all but one in my freezer outside. Some people have wondered if freezing the bread dries it out more. And it might, but we go through bread so fast I never have noticed. I usually have to only buy bread once a month and I love just going to the freezer when in need instead of having to run to the store just for bread.

I also am not good about using the end pieces, my kids don't like them and honestly if I'm going to have a sandwich I would rather use the big pieces too. So, I stick the ends in a large bowl in the cupboard and keep them there till they dry out (a week or so). Then I stick them in a freezer bag and pull them out when I need bread crumbs to top a casserole or something. I then usually stick the bread in the blender with some salt, pepper, onion salt, and whatever else I think it needs . . . and wala . . . homemade bread crumbs.

Anyway, just some thoughts on bread.
Here is the french bread recipe.

French Bread

2 packages dry yeast (or about 4 1/2 tsp yeast)
2-1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp. sugar
6 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. salt
Make sure water temperature is 110 to 115 degrees F. (An oven thermometer is a good investment.) Place water in a large bowl and sprinkle with yeast and sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes until yeast dissolves and starts to bubble. Stir in 2 cups flour and salt. Cover and let rise for 1/2 hour.

Then gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. (Knead by pressing on the dough, then folding over and pressing with the heel of your hand.) Then clean the large mixing bowl, grease it with solid shortening, and place the dough in the bowl. Turn it in the bowl so the dough is greased (this prevents the top from cracking as it rises).

Cover the dough and let rise at room temperature for about 2-1/2 hours, until doubled in bulk. With your fist, punch down the dough. Divide in half and place one half on a lightly floured surface.

Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a 12x6" rectangle. Starting with the 12" side, roll up tightly. Seal seams and edges by pinching. Repeat with remaining dough.

Grease a cookie sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place loaves on prepared sheet. Cover and let rise at room temperature until doubled, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray the loaves with a bit of water, then using a blade, made a few slashes across the top of each loaf. Bake at 425 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until loaves are golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on wire rack.

2 comments:

deena said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'm anxious to try it. I love to make my own bread. Just not during the summer! I've gotten used to planning ahead to make the homemade bread in time to go with a meal or a snack! But, the french bread, I always WANT to make, but I haven't quite figured out how to plan for it. That is my goal this year! Sounds yummmy!

Have you tried using whole wheat flour to make French Bread??

annette said...

wed is my bread making day so I think I will try this recipe. Thanks.