10.14.2009

Sharing the methods to our madness

So I just picked up a book at Costco. It is my favorite resource on Food Storage thus far. I got home... read the book... then found out she has a blog. Check it out HERE!! The name of the book is "I can't believe it's Food Storage" Cheesy... I know.

If you notice, I've listed a bunch of more websites and resources in the lists on the right. If you've got a minute, they are worth snooping around.

FYI- I let my Deals to Meals subscription expire. I could only go three months without it! I can't believe the difference it makes, just less work for me. I know we all have our own methods, but I would love to hear how people make their shopping lists. Weekly? Monthly? I mean before you go to the store, what do you do?

____________________________________________________________________
My method... I'll just put it all out there!

I budget $100 a week... that includes cleaners, socks, household items, kids needs... everything. I get it in cash (that way I can't overspend... when it's gone it's gone)
I start with the Grocery Guru for my weekly meal planning. I mix in my own standard meals... spaghetti, mac n' cheese... things my kids want to eat, and things to try and rotate our storage.
I have a separate Food Storage budget... it ranges around $300 a month. (I can usually carry over some from the weekly budget... depends on the week.) I know that sounds crazy, but I've been trying to build up my supply of things like laundry and dish washing detergent. Batteries, light bulbs... and cough/cold medicines and pain reliever. It adds up so fast!
The Macey's case lot sale is a separate things too. We spend around $200-$300.

Hopefully that's not too "out there". I really have no idea what other families spend on food, I'm sure it varies quite a bit. I could be high... I could be low... I really don't know. Of course there are those shopping trips that turn into an embarrassing and expensive load of non-essentials, holiday crap, and other fluff. But I try to do my best. (Don't we all?)
My sister is an amazing example to me of frugality. She is really good at "only getting what she needs". I, on the other hand, will admit to a problem with spending. I have gotten better every year, but my shopping trips are sometimes more emotionally driven than they should be.
Giving up my cards and moving to a 'cash only' method has worked wonders. I had to be the one to give up the cards though, if it had be suggested by my husband I would have never done it! When I put the groceries on a card, I don't realize how much I'm spending week-to-week.
I would love to hear what other people do, or how they make it work. I think we can all help each other and give ideas. No judging!

Loves!

2 comments:

Click said...

Your system sounds great and is very similar to mine. Although we are going through tough times right now I have really had to cut back BIG TIME. So for now I am only spending $100.0 per week for our family of seven that is not much because we basically have 4 adults and 3 kids. And we are using up food our storage. After all that’s what it is for right? But really my family hasn’t complained it’s allot more work for me but I am kind of enjoying the fact that I am learning new ways to feed my family and stretch a dollar.
I also get that cash out once a week. I also get money out for fuel, family fun, and date night once a week. If we get extra money like a bonus from work ex,,, then we save half and use the other half to do a big Costco shopping trip. I have learned to make almost everything from scratch and have just started coupons. We also eat allot of vegetarian meals witch is pretty easy because we already have a couple of non meat eaters in the family.
I really want that book that you mentioned I already read her blog and have used many of her recipes.

annette said...

that last comment was me. I was singed in as my daughter.