4.06.2009

Food co-op

Here is another idea . . . join the food co-op of Utah. Here is the website. All the info can be found here http://foodco-op.net/index.html I've been buying a Standard Share each month since last Sept. and I love it.
Each month I pay $23.00 and have to record 2 service hours. This is what I got last month.

1 pkg 2/8 oz Top Sirloin Steaks
1 pkg 4/5 oz Pork Chops
1 pkg 2-lbs chicken legs/thighs
1 pkg lean ground beef

1 3-lb bag yellow onions
6 lemons
8 apples
1 cantaloupe
3 red bell peppers
1 head romaine lettuce
2 avocados
6 tomatoes

1 loaf stone ground's artisan wheat bread
16 oz rice

You usually have to call or fax and pay by the first Friday of the month. And then you pick up your food on the last Saturday of the month. Simple, easy, and I love the bread. I actually love everything. The chicken usually comes bone-in, but I'm learning to get creative (i.e. chicken wings, fried chicken, or boil it and make chicken noodle soup or anything).

-Sally

**************************************************
(I posted this for Sally, then signed up about 20 minutes later)

This is awesome! Everyone has to check it out! I had no idea it existed...
You only have to record 2 hours of community service time each month. (I found out that if your LDS, the time you spend serving in your calling is considered attributing to serving the community. But probably better the time you serve during the week)
I think this is fantastic!
The more people that join, the cheaper the food gets. I'm starting with a 'half share' which is...

4 Lean Salisbury Steaks (4 oz)
1 lb. Lean Pork Cubes (90/10)
Fresh Fruits (3 varieties)
Fresh Vegetables (4 varieties)
Stone Ground Artisan Wheat Bread
16oz. rice

It is $14...that's right $14.00! The food comes from the same distributor as our local grocery store. There are other options...a Harvest Share (mostly fruits and veggies).
There are also add-on's to your order:
a Nutty Guys sampler, Extra meat, tamales, sourdough bread, Colossimo brawts, and all-natural peanut butter.

If you are interested, the last day to place your order for April is this Friday. I just phoned it in this morning. Pick-up is April 25th, in Eagle Mountain or Lehi.

I would love to spread the word in this area...if enough people are interested...we could even start our own pick-up site right here in Harvest Hills. What a great opportunity to serve each other in our community and help put good food on the table in these tough economic times!

-Sherian

(for those outside of Utah...I read that most States have a food co-op! Check it out!)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Tiffany Fralick has been doing something like this too. It is a great concept that I have thought about doing and never followed through. let me know if you start.

Sherian said...

I signed up this morning...it took 5 minutes to order. I'll have to take pics and post them when I pick my food up on the 25th.

Wilde Things said...

You'll be so surprised at how much food you really get. I just placed my order for the month too. The fruits and veggies are so fresh and good. And some months you get stew meat or fajita meat which is all ready cut up!
Like I said before, the bread is wonderful!

Marianne and Ben said...

I just placed my order this morning! I am excited to see what I will get. It is hard to work today when I am purusing all the websites about food storage and deals!!