4.21.2009

Grocery Guru


I attended a class at the expo center last Saturday. The grocery guru was there, explaining his system, and how to implement weekly ads and specials to save time and money. His system claims that you can feed a family of 4 on $35 to 40$ a week. He also say that you will be in and out of the grocery store in thirty minutes or less. It all sounded good to me!
I had been using coupons, and shopping the ads... but there was a ton of information I thought I would share. In my opinion, there are things I have to tailor to my own family...starting with the fact that I feed four girls who eat more like teenage boys, and a husband much larger than the average man...in fact, I am the size of an average man... so there you go! Quantity is a concern of mine.
I also want to incorporate different foods into my diet, and my kids can be a bit picky. But regardless... the system is a great way to find cheap food, and build up a food storage.
Here are some tips he suggests:

1. Don't clip the coupons...keep them in a binder, only clipping the ones you need right before you shop.
2. Only go to one store. Pick the one you like, according to their ad that week. Going to multiple stores isn't worth your time, or money on gas.
3. Receive two newspapers for coupons. No more, no less.
4. Plan your weekly menu around the ad from the store of your choice.

If people are interested, you can call to actually go shopping with him. It does cost $10...but that includes your prepared meal list, your corresponding shopping list and ALL the coupons you need! Considering you won't spend more than $40 and walk away with a week's worth of groceries...it's not too shabby!
I think I will give it a fair shot. I want to go shopping with him, and try the system for at least one month. I will keep everyone updated on how it goes. (If you want to check it out...his link is on the right, under grocery deals)

(ps- If you signed up for the food co-op...pick up is this Saturday! I'll take pics of what I get and post them.)

Sherian

2 comments:

annette said...

I have always wondered about his system I will have to look into it further. I also am excited to see what you get at the co-op I didn't sign up this moth but I think I might.

Unknown said...

I will have to adjust the menu too because I really don't like Banquet frozen meals and that is what he had for one night this week, yuk. I think with expecting to pay a little more each week we can still make a pretty good menu for cheap.