4.28.2009

Tis' the Season

So I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with my garden this year?!

I would like to plant the following:
tomatoes
squash
zucchini squash
lettuce
spinach
broccoli

I would love any advise, tips, ideas on my garden. I know that at least one of Mel's thumbs are green...possibly both of them! (hee, hee)
I grew tomatoes last year, but only half of the plants I planted survived. (bought some at Costco, those were the ones that died) I had only two squash plants last year...but they didn't produce much at all.
I'm wondering when to plant in this crazy Utah spring? I'm afraid to plant my tomatoes...but I do have wall-o-waters) Has anyone started lettuce, spinach, zucchini, or squash with seeds? Do I start my seeds inside? Is it too late for broccoli? Should I buy my seeds/plants from a Nursery vs. Home Depot? Any tips on what to do with my soil? (besides completely change it!) Can I add the sq. foot gardening mixture (vermiculite/peet moss/compost) to my soil...or does it have to stand alone? I'd rather not build the actual gardening boxes...because I'm not sure of a permanent spot for them. Any advise???
Really...I'll take any help I can get!

5 comments:

Mel said...

Silly you...way to get gardening.

As for seeds, I'd talk with Brother Halvas. He is an expert w/ many years of experience. Also, Angela Lindsay grew lettuce and some other things I've never grown before last year. Maybe talk to her...their garden was nice.

We are planting our garden on the 9th. Will use water wells on ALL of our plants until we are more than positive it won't FREEZEW again - dang UT weather. Also helps protect from the beautiful SS breeze.

As for squash, zucchini & pumpkins, you are suppose to plant 2 plants per hill so that they will germinate. 2 years ago I tried to out smart the plants - they died :(. Also, in our parts, watch for squash bugs - they will kill your garden. Leaves start dropping & they multiply like cockroaches from Compton. Ha ha ha. I have spray if you ever need some.

Never planted spinach or broccoli. Try it & let me know how it goes. Do you know Kelli Huff? She may have some suggestions. Link on my blog to her. Nice gal w/ a green thumb. Canning queen also.

Also, I should totally support the HD since G works there, but we buy ALL of our plants at Cascade Shadows in AF. (Have a coupon for $10 off $50 purchase if interested. Also in the UT Valley mag that comes for free they had an add for 20% off your entire purchase.) But the HD does have a good deal on seeds right now, BOGO Free.

We use 3 part steer manure, compost & potting soil, bought in LRG bags from HD. Just make sure it is mixed in w/ your soil VERY VERY well or your plants will burn. We do this every other of every third year as needed.

Other than that, I think it is just up keep and large amounts of Miracle Grow.

Hoping we have a harvest this year.

Let me know if you find out any other tips...we are always up for suggestions.

Marianne and Ben said...

I am sure it was announced in church but our RS activity on 5/5 will be hearing planting ideas from Mindy Peterman (I think). Anyways it is at the church of course, we are having Mexican good for Cinco de Mayo, then after as a service project we are clearing rocks in the plot by the bishops house. Apparently they are planning a community garden.

TJ said...

Mindy Peterman has moved to Arizona.....

Sherian said...

I heard that Deena Peterson will be teaching us...yipee! I'm just not sure I can come, I work on Tuesday's :( Bummer

deena said...

What a disappointment, huh? Yea, it's me teaching. The sad thing is I don't know anything!!
There is actually very helpful info at the usu extension website.
Post your questions and I'll try to answer them on Tuesday!!
I need you guys to come and share what has worked for you!!!