4.25.2009

The power of a community!

So I went and picked up my food from the co-op this morning. I was such an awesome bunch of food. (Thanks so much Sally for enlightening me)
This is what I got...

1 pkg. Salisbury Steaks
1 pkg. Lean Pork cubes
1 5lb. bag of potatoes
4 oranges
1 head of broccoli
1 head Red Leaf Lettuce
6 Bananas
4 Tomatoes
1 1lb. box of strawberries
1 loaf Stone Ground's Artisian Wheat Bread
16 oz. rice

As you can see, the quality of the produce is fantastic! Everything is really, really good...and was $14! That's right $14!
Keep in mind this is only a 1/2 share. I have a friend who says a full share is great for her family of four. I'm so very impressed...and I will be ordering a full share for next month. I also found out that you can order multiple shares.

Just to give you an idea...for my service this week, I logged the hours I read and did math with Cori's and Lexi's class. I was also able to attend a field trip this month with my preschoolers, and help them tour the Alpine School District Transportation facility.

I know that everyone does not have the time during the day to put in some service hours. Anyone who is involved in scouting, or youth groups can log service hours. Anything you do for people outside of your family!


So here's my idea...
If we get enough of our community involved, we can have our own location here in Harvest Hills. I think it would be an amazing opportunity to serve our community, get our children and neighbors involved, while helping families in this time of financial hardship. Helping provide healthy, good quality food, while saving 30%-50% of the price.

They do ask that you volunteer at least once a year with the co-op, and if we are able to set up our own distribution site... we can serve our friends and neighbors every month on the pick-up day. I know that if we can get enough people involved, we can work together to find ways to better our area and community.

I am going to be printing and sending out info this week to some of our neighbors. If anyone would like to help me, just comment or let me know. The more people, the greater the savings. The co-op is encouraging a simple exchange...giving and receiving. Share a part of yourself!

"Working together with friends and neighbors for a common good!"

check it out...www.foodco-op.net

-Sherian

3 comments:

Wilde Things said...

We get the full share . . . and like I said, we love it. The bread is almost gone all ready.
I heard about it at church. So, if you are interested in getting a community started by you, I suggest taking the flyer from the little newspaper handout (you could even have the library make copies) to church and announcing it in RS, and opening exercises of primary. I'm sure you'd get enough interested people.

Rod and Rachel Gardner said...

Girl I'm all on board in helping bring this to our neighborhood. I think it is such a great thing and it makes me excited each month to see what I'm going to get. So let me know where I can help out!

Unknown said...

I am for it too. Let me know what I can do.